Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Units Program: Idaho
Education, Research and Technical Assistance for Managing Our Natural Resources

Idaho History


Owyhee Canyonlands Streamgage Installation. Credit: John Wirt, USGS

The Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit Program began in 1935, when five Wildlife Units were established at land grant universities. Additional Units have been added since that time. In 1961 the Cooperative Fishery Research Unit Program was initiated. Beginning in 1984, Wildlife and Fishery Units were combined into Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Units. At the present time, there are 41 Cooperative Research Units. In 1994 the Cooperative Research Units were moved into the National Biological Service under the Division of Cooperative Research. In 1996 the National Biological Service and Cooperative Research Units were moved into the United States Geological Survey under the Biological Resources Division. The Idaho Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit was established at the University of Idaho on September 20, 1947, and the Idaho Cooperative Fishery Research Unit was established in 1963. The two Units were combined into the Idaho Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit in 1985. The Unit is housed in the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources in the College of Natural Resources. The Unit is staffed, supported, and coordinated by the U.S. Geological Survey, Idaho Department of Fish and Game, University of Idaho, Wildlife Management Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.


Name Position Start Year End Year
Ausband, David Assistant Unit Leader 2018 Current
Bjornn, Theodore Assistant Unit Leader 2000 2001
Congleton, James Assistant Unit Leader 1980 2007
Conway, Courtney Unit Leader 2011 Current
Hornocker, Maurice Unit Leader 1968 1985
Moffitt, Christine Assistant Unit Leader 2010 2017
Quist, Michael Assistant Unit Leader 2010 Current
Scott, J. Michael Unit Leader 1987 2011
Wright, R. Gerald Assistant Unit Leader 1995 2004